Thursday, March 1, 2007

How Do You Feel About Black Men with White Women: A Male and Female Perspective

He Said,
A lot of people of all races have mixed feelings and emotions as they walk pass a black and white couple holding hands, mainly our black women. Who can blame them? Black women have been through more than anyone else in America. I am quite sure it hurts many black women to see their black men holding firm the hands of white women. But does love have to stay beyond the walls of a race? Can one person demand that a man cannot fall in love with a woman of the race that once was in control of them? Indeed not, because no one can control who they fall in love with, and no one can demand that someone can’t fall in love with someone else. I will clearly never be a woman, so I will never feel the pain that our black woman feel. But no matter how much clothes you reveal or how far you are willing to go, this will not cause all black men to refrain from all white women. But walk around with a humble spirit and a crown on your head. Show black men what they are missing out on when they look at someone of another race. Your ancestors surround you in a stadium in the sky, praying that you will take the position as a queen you so richly inherited.

She Said,
I read in a magazine one day that for African American women if you are not married by the age of 35 it is more likely that you get killed in a terrorist attack. I can’t remember the last terrorist attack in the United States before September 11th. I say this to give a point of reference about my opinion. I do not feel as though anyone should have to be with someone only because of a color expectation. On the flip side, recognizing the unique pain that black women face daily I wish there were more black men who cherished black women and our struggle, and wanted to alleviate that pain by loving us and being committed to us. Black women are truly, “the mules of the earth.” We hold the largest percentage of people with sicknesses and diseases. We hold the largest percentage of premature death. Statistically we are the lowest economically, and we are also the demographic most portrayed in the media as sex symbols, “sex gods,” ignorant, and insignificant. There are of course always exceptions to every rule, but this is, for the most part, the “black woman’s reality.” Therefore the cherry on the top of one pitiful cake is not being able to find a black, strong, educated, beautiful, loving, MAN, because we look around and we think, “Where have all the black men gone?” They’re with “other” women.

4 comments:

Pam Fordham said...

Wow! Very thoughtful from BOTH perspectives.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Both perspectives were great. I thought I knew exactly how I felt about this specific topic, but after reading this article I was left thinking.....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm still not seeing what this struggle is black woman feel they are going through. I need that to be explained. As a black person who has lived in the roughest scariest of places I've only let one thing be my focus in life. Do everything that I can to be happy. I also don't understand what our ancestors have to do with anything. I understand that they had it hard but in contrast black people have never had it easier and one can counter but not as easy as white people. I simply reply that I know just as many white people who have had it worst than me and our still in the same boat that X many years later. I think a good choice would be to not hold your self to the confines of your skin color and the confines of what it meant to be black during times of actual struggle, and just hold yourself to your own set of standards. If people love you than they love you if they hate you good thing its a big planet and you never have to see them again

Oh and thats a Sleepless in Seattle quote.